Resolving : Found an active task sequence in the completed queue

Hi,

Another odd bug from this weeks troubleshooting, in this case, we use a couple of pre-caching task sequences before running our final in-place upgrade task sequence.

We found that a completed caching task sequence somehow got stuck in the queue preventing any further deployments.  This was visible in the Execmgr.log with the cryptic error:

“Found an active task sequence in the completed queue. Cannot proceed while another Task Sequence is in progress”

Previously the only way we could find to solve this was by deleting all deployments to this machine and re-create.
Luckily my colleague discovered a nifty PowerShell command to query the queue for a different problem from this blog:https://itinlegal.wordpress.com/2017/09/28/task-sequence-fails-to-start-0x80041032/

Solution

From a PowerShell Prompt run

gwmi -namespace root\CCM\softmgmtagent -query “select * from ccm_tsexecutionrequest”

This returns nothing if there are no active task sequences; if you find a stuck task sequence clear it out with:

gwmi -namespace root\CCM\softmgmtagent -query “select * from ccm_tsexecutionrequest” | remove-wmiobject

 

3 thoughts on “Resolving : Found an active task sequence in the completed queue”

  1. This was helpful for me today.
    Had a win 10 1607 machine that initially tried to update to 1803 through SCCM.
    this process failed. Not sure why, most likely because the user was off our network and tried to update from home.
    Our 1909 package will install remotely so someone removed the 1803 update and pushed 1909 to the machine.
    When the customer tried to run the 1909 update it failed with the error “Another operating system installation is in progress. ”
    I ran the commands, above, rebooted the computer and tried the 1909 update through SCCM – this time it went through fine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *